L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

The name of a Diocese IG vs IRL

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> Concile HRP - OOC Lounge
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Plyspeter

MessagePosté le: Mer Aoû 09, 2017 8:41 am    Sujet du message: The name of a Diocese IG vs IRL Répondre en citant

Hello everyone

Since we in Denmark just got our new Cathedral, and with that our first diocese IG - The Diocese of Roskilde, but I do have a problems with that name, in more ways then one.

I will try to explain this:
Denmark IG has 1 diocese with 1 town/parish, the capital city of Helsingør, and that is also where the Cathedral of Saint Olai is build.

But in Denmark, you would call the diocese the name of where the Cathedral is. So when our diocese is "The diocese of Roskilde", that would mean that the Cathedral is in the town of Roskilde. But there is no town named Roskilde in the game, at this moment.

In Denmark (IRL) back in 1465, the diocese was Roskilde and the Cathedral was in Roskilde and they covered the whole of Zealand (The Island where the towns of Roskilde, Helsingør and later the town (and capital of Denmark) Copenhagen. In 1465 both the Cathedral of Roskilde and the church of Saint Olai was build, but Saint Olai first became a Cathedral (And diocese) in 1961, because of a growing capital (Copenhagen and Copenhagen diocese), and took over all of the outer parishes of Copenhagen diocese.

So my question here is about keeping the name of Roskilde diocese (like IRL history) or make it the diocese of Helsingør (which would make sense IG).

MessagePosté le: Mer Aoû 09, 2017 9:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I think I owe an explanation.

I went ahead and formed a suggestion for all of the dioceses and cathedrals in the Kalmar Union as I was afraid no one from Sweden or Denmark would notice in time to give their own. In the case of Finland there was no question about it, but I had to give a little thought to what Sweden and Denmark should get.

Yes, neither Sweden nor Denmark currently have the city their diocese is named after, but personally I think that is fine. They are not alone on that, England has had the Diocese of Canterbury for ages with no actual city of Canterbury in sight. In my opinion, some inconsistencies between IG and RP are acceptable for the sake of more historical accuracy. See, a diocese that is not based on a historical one feels... empty, and does not offer as much material for roleplay as a diocese that has actually existed and been relevant. And that is why I suggested Uppsala for Sweden and Roskilde for Denmark, to try to give the best (I hope) possible base for roleplaying.

These inconsistencies can then be explained away in a plethora of ways. Maybe the cathedral in Roskilde burnt down when God deciced to punish some poor sinner with a lightning strike which then caused a fire that spread around the town, and thus the seat of the bishop had to be temporarily moved to somewhere else while a new and better cathedral could be built. Or maybe the king decided that the bishops are too powerful in Roskilde and forced them to move out of it, but the bishops never gave up on their claim that they indeed are the Bishop of Roskilde, just like England kept the coat of arms of France in the Royal Arms for quite a while.

Anyways, that is my explanation why Denmark ended up with the name Roskilde, and my attempt at advicing how to deal with the inconsistencies. Nevertheless, I apologize for any bother that I may have caused and hope that either the name will grow on you or that necessary changes can be made.

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

I thank you for the quick answer and fine explanation, Albrect Smile

I have now published that the bishop shall work in Helsingør, because as bishop, it is my duty to guide the King/Queen of Denmark in religous matters, and that works best if I'm working in the same town as them.

And thanks for thinking about us, Albrect, I was just a bit to late to send a name for our diocese Smile
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> Concile HRP - OOC Lounge Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: