L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

[EN] The siege of Aornos Chapter V

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Policarpo

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 25, 2019 10:40 pm    Sujet du message: [EN] The siege of Aornos Chapter V Répondre en citant

Citation:
Life of Aristotle – The Siege of Aornos – Chapter V

After this terrible night, when the troops were partly decimated, Aristotle talked to Alexander and persuaded him to defy the Great Manitou in single combat to recapture the city. The Macedonian was not very enthusiastic about this proposal but we had been hit too hard to take another assault. Alexander had to resolve himself and so it was that Aristotle and I rode to the city gates, armed with white cloths in hope that they would not serve as easy targets for arrows of archers positioned high up. I confess, moreover, that I thought I was running for my life at that very moment. Aristotle shouted to the guards: “Let us enter, I am Aristotle and I come to talk with the Great Manitou of the Cosmic Serpent!“

The gates of the city opened to let us pass and we wandered through the streets and areas to reach the foot of the temple where we were led to the manitou. When we stood in front of him, I saw the anger in his eyes, mingled with an ounce of pride and pleasure, of having decimated a good part of Alexander's troops while repelling the Macedonian assault. The manitou seemed to be waiting for something from Aristotle, it was undeniable that the Greek used his wisdom to seize this opportunity, so he invoked the skinny one in a very unkind voice. “Grand Manitou, this is what we propose: you want me to write about Aornos so that the city does not fall into oblivion and I want to wipe it off the earthly world. I challenge you to a public speaking battle in front of your people to seal the fate of Aornos, if you win, I will write about the city and, if you lose, you and your men will leave it forever!" The bearded man was taken aback and answered with a rather unhealthy smile: “It works, if I win you will write and leave without asking for your rest. We will be jousting tomorrow, meanwhile, enjoy a night's sleep in the temple grounds,“ So we spent the night at the temple.

The next day we went to the public place, on the way, Aristotle held these words, “here comes the hour of truth against persuasion reasoning against rhetoric.“ The place was packed when we arrived and we were jostled by a vindictive crowd. The philosopher fell to the ground, I hastened to help him to get up when the big man arrived with a broad smile. He exclaimed, ”Haven't you your god to avoid falling so ridiculously?“ Aristotle saluted him and motioned me to leave the room. A guard seized Aristotle and told him to answer before throwing him to the ground with violence. I then tried to join my master but the guards blocked me; he got up calmly, determined not to give in to violence but it was easy to feel frustrated. The big manitou finally said these words: “Why don't you defend yourself instead of letting yourself suffer? You asked for an oratory fight, so speak! Otherwise I will consider you defeated and you will have to keep your word while writing about the city." Aristotle looked at the man and said, “Is a speech true because you humiliate your interlocutor, and what glory is there to make fun of seeing your enemy on the ground? To avoid a debate? Your people have a very poor guide!" The big manitou, red faced with anger, retorted: "for my people I am the subject and the verb, they do not need any complement." To which Aristotle, armed with an air of pleasure, answered : "indeed, if the people are a sentence, its leader is the subject and the verb, but it is also necessary that the whole be well conjugated so that it has a meaning, and in all this, I name it god!"

I stood not far from the scene, Aristotle was facing the big manitou and both, surrounded by guards, clashed in front of the vicious crowd. I then saw the plebs adhere to the words of the philosopher, so much more charismatic than his adversary of the day who, under his grotesque mustache and his tinge of frustration, ridiculed himself more and more. His eyes filled with hatred and Aristotle noticed. He slid a hint: "What guide loses his temperance as well?“ In his clairvoyance, he had not missed the change in the opinion of the people gathered around the spectacle, so much so that he played all the more beautiful. “People of Aornos, look at him well, with his grand airs and his rich attire, pictures of corruption! Look at what contempt he shows you!" The great manitou felt then that the wind was turning, and in an attack of rage, decided to finish with this duel; he then seized a dagger of a guard and threw himself on Aristotle shouting in all his voice: "Since this is so, let's see what your verve will do with that!" Using the strength and weight of his opponent, the Greek grabbed his arm and twirled him in the air, thus defending himself from the mortal blow. The manitou fell heavily into a cloud of dust and the crowd applauded as one. With assurance in his voice Aristotle uttered: "See what vice the vanquished tries to catch the sauce!" He turned to the paper tiger that lay in front of him: "You are the toy of your acedia which, in your narrow brain, is a reflection of your illness! Aornos will remain the consequence of your eternal incompetence!" Finally, he spread his arms and looked around him turning towards the disappearing crowd: "Aornos, wake up and do not let this infamous villain play on you!" The dictatorial man-child got up with difficulty, he cast a look full of vice before ordering the death of Aristotle to his guards. It was then the mass of onlookers gathered around the event and took up the case for Aristotle. Even before the guards had been able to unsheathe their weapons, they were thrown to the ground, I had to dodge quickly to avoid being trampled.

Thus ended the siege of Aornos, by a victory of Aristotle over a tyrant without consistency and in the anger of people too long exploited. The great manitou was, with the few guards who were still faithful to him, eradicated by a mass in fury. Aristotle was erected as a hero and, like the triumphant ruler of evil, he was carried by the crowd to the gates of the city. Alexander attended the show openly and once again had to recognize the priceless talent of his friend, carried by his Faith in god. Thus, the Macedonian ordered the rest of his troops to invest in Aornos. Aristotle assured the people converted to the word of the Most High, that this was an evil for good.

Translated by the brothers Angelo de Montemayor and Bender.B.Rodriguez
Translated from french into english by Caillen Jolieen MacKinnon Rose
Proofread by Conradh MacKinnon

German archivist for the Roman registers of Sacraments
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: