L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Monasteries

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> The Church in England, Scotland and Ireland - L'Église d'Angleterre, Ecosse et Irlande
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Plotnik

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Sujet du message: Monasteries Répondre en citant

The short question: does anyone care?

I recently had this exchange with the admins.
Me a écrit:
Choup,
Once, long ago, LJS told us we could form a monastery to brew beer. I read it long ago in the Sussex forums - that thread was deleted during the forum Purge. And I don't know the requirements.

Are there monasteries in France?

What would it take to form a monastery in England? How many people would I need? Where would it be, on a node or in a city? What do I need to make beer (hops or barley?)? Can we form a monastery in England, please?

Thanks for answering. Some of us really want to do something different, and this is perfect for us.
Choup a écrit:
Hello

Please ask such questions on the forums.
Me a écrit:
Choup, Hello!
I took your suggestion and posted the question on the MegaForums. They confirm that monasteries, like cities, can only be made by admins. One, a level 4 character, says that LongJohnSilver promised monasteries in England as soon as we had the players who wanted to join.

Today, there are only two: one in France (Tastevin, in Comté d'Artou) and one in SRING (Heiligenbronn, in Burggrafschaft von Nurmberg).

I am collecting the players now. How do I proceed? What should I do? Ireland and Spain also said they wanted to form monasteries.

Thank you.

- Plotnik's player
Choup a écrit:
Hello

It is not really one of our emergencies. You better try to get into one of the 2 monastries.
I won't bore you with my reasons for asking this. You each can bring your own reasons for supporting or opposing.

I wanted to have a Monastery in Sussex. This would have been the Monastery of Saint Cyr the Forgiver, which has long been RP'ed, and is (at least it used to be) the seat of the Primate of England.

There has been some modest support from the players. At this time, you could count on about 10 players willing to join the Abbey. Maybe more, if it actually gets implemented. And certainly more, if barrels of beer get coded for use in taverns.

The prime difficulty is that the admins (at least Choup) do not care.

So the question is: does anyone else care?
And the follow-up questions include:
- Would the URACE (or the Church in Rome) support opening a real monastery in England?
- Would the Church help fight for the monastery (I.e., help get the admin's attention and support)
- Will you help?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Apocas
Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 12, 2010 10:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

We are in the process of gathering and analysing information about the monasteries. So the church is interested in understanding and possibly implementing an IG monastery within the anglophone lands. It has been something we have periodic spoken with the admins about for the last four years. However there are a number of reasons why it has not been implemented.

As you have personally experienced, the admins place no priority on an anglophone monastery. The reason for this (besides the admins having too many open developments) is due to the under population of the other two monasteries. One has to remember that a monastery is basically an additional town; a town that no one is born into, and doesn't allow for ownership of any property. With the fact that most anglophone towns are currently under populated makes it unlikely that the admins are willing to create, in effect, another underpopulated town. At the moment the church is planning to wait until after definitive plans for consolidation have been made before making another request. This gives us the ability to have the monastery in a populated area. It would be very bad for the monastery to be placed on a node in an area that would not have any remaining coded towns.

In addition to concerns about population, there is the issue of coding. Like much else in the church particularly, and the game in general, it is poorly and incompletely coded. Though oddly enough the parts that are coded are quite complicated and time and labour intensive. It basically requires a daily active population of about 25 to 30 monks engaged in a multiple stage productions and be logged in periodically throughout the day. As such keeping and maintaining productive population will be a challenge. Though the church will still try to have it coded here if possibly. Even an incomplete state could be an interesting experience.

In the past we had gotten about 15 or so persons interested in the idea of actually living and working in a monastery. That was a little below the mark (LJS at the time stated that the admins would consider coding it with just 20 players committed). So what is needed is committed players to living the life of the monk. Also there needs to be support from the surrounding communities. As it is right now, there are very few counties in any of the anglophone lands that would accept a monastery to be placed inside of their counties. Having friendly and supportive neighbours is also important in the long-term health of the monastery.

Ideally with more condensed populations and strong player support, we can convince the admins to commit to making an anglophone monastery.
Plotnik

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 15, 2010 5:12 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Your Excellency, I thank you sincerely and deeply for the reply.

It has come to my attention that the monastery in Nuremberg has three residents. That in a well-populated area of the Holy Roman Empire. I do not know about the French monastery.

I cannot speak from a position of authority - as I have no authority - but believe that Sussex would welcome a monastery with open arms. We already have the Archbishopric, and the seat of the Primacy is located herewithin. My first thought is a node between Hastings and Dover, or Hastings and Lewes. Both of those nodes come pre-equipped with a port (natural port - level 1), to aid with shipping ale about the world.

Should I bring this to Sussex for discussion? Even knowing that it will not be coded soon, would it be advisable to start the discussion about neighbors?

Today, only an RP monastery to be worthwhile. Making the RP (forum only?) Monastery might show Levan we are serious, show him we have an active religious population. Life in a small, humble, close-knit community toiling for one purpose and praising Jah with every post they write. That would be a new and exciting venture for me, compared to the rest of MegaForum I and II.

The worse part of this whole ordeal for me, is knowing that LJS promised we might have one with twenty willing souls. But Choup said "no". Making me wonder if LJS is reneging on his earlier statement, or whether Choup is not even asking him. Of course, her attitude continues to try my patience, but that is neither here nor there.

Dead for now? Or should there be effort (however small) to press ahead even yet?
Apocas
Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 15, 2010 8:13 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

The German numbers are lower than I expected (I received information that it was ten as of 2 weeks); however it is not too surprising. The French numbers are about the same. I do not believe Tastevin has had more than 10 active monks at the same time in the last 2 years. As you did observe, even with relatively high population nearby, population within the actual monastery is challenging.

Previously a location within Cornwall had been planned as a possible location. However with LJS mentioning a couple times now that he is considering depopulating the area combined with the general less favourable disposition of the Cornwall government at this time, does raise the possibility of favouring another area. The possibility of a port does add certain value to a Sussex location. Though one of the reasons Cornwall was somewhat preferred was its proximity to Ireland and St. George's Channel (hence shipping to Scotland); having proximity to the Continent might might provide enough profit to offset any additional cost for having to ship the further distance.

On if to open discussion with Sussex temporal authorities at this time is question. I would advise you discuss it with our primate, SE Faheud, and our apostolic ambassador for Sussex, Sister Ophelia. The two of them should be able to give advice on if now is an opportune time to open discussions.

On the possibility of gathering together interested person, you should speak with Sister Avia, the interim head of the ODE. She may have as many as a half dozen persons that have an interest in an IG monastery life. Also the ODE have been practising the RP life of a monastery for the last two years. At this the time, we are still planing on having the IG monastery be administered by the ODE, so getting its support would give a solid base for a Sussex location.

On the issue of if LJS and Choup have not discussed the subject, or if it is a change of direction by the admins as a whole is debatable. Though I would say both are likely. At the time that LJS said he would consider the anglophone monastery was when populations where much higher then they are now (iirc avg town pop was in the mid 300s); with the dramatic decline in populations in the last couple years most likely would make them be less likely to commit time to this project. Also as mentioned by Levan and Jdw in the recent KAP interview, the dev team has grown apprehensive about introducing aspects of the game that have a high level of challenge that would increase player complaints.

At this point I would not consider this to be completely dead issue. However at this stage we need to focus on doing everything possible that can be done without admin involvement (which is much like most activities in RK). Doing everything possible on the player side of the project will make less work for them and make it easier to persuade them to do the remaining part that is needed to be done by them. Even if it is not yet possible to have project completely done, we should try to make progress and be ready for when it will be possible to be done.
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> The Church in England, Scotland and Ireland - L'Église d'Angleterre, Ecosse et Irlande Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: