L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Question - Indulgences

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> Holy Office and Causes of the Saints - Saint-Office et Causes des Saints
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Catriona Delacroix

MessagePosté le: Dim Sep 03, 2017 11:28 pm    Sujet du message: Question - Indulgences Répondre en citant

I would like to ask what are Indulgences. While I understand that in exchange for money ... sins are reduced, I am interested in learning a little more - because at the moment I really wouldn't know what to say if I were asked. Except that they seem to be a way to make the diocese and Pope rich.

Mother Catriona Mackenzie, Bishop in partibus of Ephesus
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé MSN Messenger
Arnarion
Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 04, 2017 12:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hello ! Good to see you are interested about indulgences. I am actually writting a doctrinal text.

On my reflexion, I can say you this : By its nature and effect, indulgence can only come from God. It is therefore perfect and absolute in its essence. It can not be anything but a piece of divine grace that enables us to sanctify ourselves and free ourselves from the tyranny of sin. One can thus see indulgence as the handing over of temporal punishments conditional on an act of piety and devotion to the love of God that some good works of fervor and charity form that will have no other effect than that, being sanctifying. By virtue of the uninterrupted apostolic line from Saint Titus, to which the episcopal power has its source and legitimacy, it is then up to the diocesan authority to confer indulgences through the ecclesiastical provinces and parishes.

In more material words ... you give money to the Church and she prays for your soul.

(Sorry for my english, I don't have time to traduce the French well.)

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 04, 2017 1:13 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

J'en ai une autre de définition, Prise d'otage avec demande de rançon Laughing

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 04, 2017 4:38 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

So ... the indulgence of reducing the sin comes from god as divine grace, through the mediation of prayers by the diocese, and the payment is an act of pious charity so making the person deserving of the prayers?

So the bishop and the diocese council should be actively praying for all who pay for indulgences?

And also the diocese and Pope should be spending the money gained on charitable works?

I'm just trying to see if I can make sense of it as it feels intrinsically wrong to be praying for people because they are giving the church money.

Perhaps divine grace is not the right phrase to use as this feels more like a transaction than god bestowing a gift on the undeserving. The priests are praying for divine intervention perhaps, rather than divine grace, and are asking for this intervention because of the charitable act - so it's more a case of ... hello god, can you intervene by reducing the burden of sin felt by peasant x because he did a charitable act by giving the church money.

ooc: No worries - I'm just happy to see such a swift reply. Thank you!

Catriona Delacroix

MessagePosté le: Mer Sep 27, 2017 1:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Well, perhaps I was prematurely too happy here as I seem to have scared you away from the conversation.

I'll do some more thinking on it - as indulgences seem to be here for good.

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> Holy Office and Causes of the Saints - Saint-Office et Causes des Saints Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: