L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Abbot Tise of Cambrai

Poster un nouveau sujet   Ce sujet est verrouillé; vous ne pouvez pas éditer les messages ou faire de réponses.    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Policarpo

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 08, 2018 11:31 am    Sujet du message: Abbot Tise of Cambrai Répondre en citant

Citation:

Abbot Tise of Cambrai (circa 1330-1393)

Introduction:

While I was Archbishop of Cambrai, when I decided to visit the diocesan archives, I was attracted by a testimony of an old lady: Sister Mechtilde, dated 1427. It was her memoirs. She announced her imminent death, weak from the ravages of old age, but with joy and happiness from having dedicated her life to Jah. This love of spiritual things which had led her to renounce the fortune of her birth to become the humble nun that she was, was inspired by a man who, in her descriptions seemed magnificent: The Abbot Tise.

Interested in this parish priest of Cambrai, I decided to spend some time researching who he really was. This research led me to question the oldest inhabitants of the region whose parents had known him, and to search the archives of the parish of which he was the priest. That's where I found a treasure: his notebook in which he detailed all the events of his life and his parish, which was his life.

I now present to you the results of my research in the hope that reading this text will help your conversion, like his writing helped mine.

A difficult childhood in the sight of Jah

Jean Tise was born somewhere in the north of Artois. We do not really know where or when, but we know from what he tells us himself that his childhood was not the most cheerful . His mother had in fact committed the error of being seduced by a farmhand who was motivated only by the pleasure he could derive from her. The latter, seeing his pregnant mistress, forsook her, took his wages and went to work in a more distant village. Left alone, an outcast, her only choice was to leave in turn, the little Jean on her breast.

She went to Cambrai where to survive and feed her son she had to beg, not having a penny to open a shop, and she ended up selling her greater good: her virtue. Beaten by one of her lovers one night, she died on the pavement.

Little Jean became one of those children without families, the thieves and fighters familiar in all our cities, but Providence watched over him. Educated to respect of Jah, the boy went several times a day to the cathedral to pray, forgetting that he had not eaten. And when he got bread, he was always found sharing it with his young friends of the street. One day, while he was dragging his feet in church, the priest came to him to ask him what he was doing there. The boy replied that he had to confess to Jah all the anger, all the unhappiness, all the hatred that life gave him. Then the priest replied that one day, it will be his love, happiness and gentleness that he would offer to the Most High for This One loved him and would save him. From that day, the priest lodged him and fed him at the presbytery. It was in 1345, Jean Tise was 12 years old.

The priest of the poor

The priest fed and lodged the young Jean Tise, who did not forget to give some of his daily bowl of soup to his friends, but he also gave him an education. He taught him Latin, arithmetic, grammar and all that a young man needed to know. It was therefore natural that when in 1354 the priest died, the archbishop ordained and chose him as successor.

Very quickly, his parishioners called him the "priest of the poor", indeed he gave them his life. The poor in money, the poor in love, the poor in spirit, all found support in him. Some anecdotes show this, although the abbot Tise was not very talkative about his good deeds and one has to read between the lines to notice them.

Thus we know he never forgot where he came from and that very often he only took one meal a day and offered meals to the poor of the city. He even created afterwards a charity raising money to prepare daily meals for the many destitute in those years of famine and pestilence. An old artesian, now deceased, told me one day that his father had arrived at Cambrai in 1388 without a penny and all the doors closed on him except one: that of the priest who was about to sit at his table. The latter invited him in and offered him his plate while only satisfying his own stomach with an apple, but with a smile and the happiness of having a guest.

The priest would visit every week street children and bring them a little bread. After nourishing them in body, he taught them and told them that Jah loved them and we must, in times of despair turn our gaze to him who smiles upon us and in moments of joy, know to thank him for the happiness he gives us.

It is further known that Father Tise of Cambrai repeatedly defended his bell ringer whom people called the "village idiot". He often said that being simple-minded was not a punishment from Jah or anything shameful but rather something to be proud of, because Jah loved all of us so and needed us as well. He, poor simpleton, served Jah in his simplicity sounding the hours and punctuating the liturgy, while most people who insulted him only served their own interests and their magnificent brains only served to study vain and frivolous projects.

The testimony of Sister Mechtilde tells again an anecdote which I claim to tell you because it directly affects one of our most eminent cardinals ... In 1379, a man who came from Normandy, Eloi Nagan, went to Cambrai to study a rare work of Aristotle at the Chapter Library of Cambrai. In this city, he met a lovely girl from the best nobility named Iseulte. Their mutual love was immediate and a few months later, when Eloi was soon to leave, he went to ask for the hand of the beautiful Iseulte from her father. This he flatly refused saying that Nagan’s wealth was not large enough for him to accept a Norman into the family.

Desperate, Eloi walked through the city in search of solution and this was given to him by Father Tise’s voice, who he met at the cathedral: "Love is Jah's gift for love is Jah; if you are sure of your love and have been chaste, I would marry you tonight, then you will leave together." The Father could then see if the lovers were willing to risk everything and leave everything for each other and test the strength of their love. In the evening, with the help of Mechtilde, Iseulte's sister, who had planned the escape, the wedding was celebrated in private and the couple went to Normandy. From their union were born Catherine, and Philip who had a son Aaron. Of course, the priest had some trouble and Mechtilde had to leave her family, but with Jah nothing is impossible and the parents finally acknowledged the power of love. Love as reflected constantly by Abbot Tise and which called Mechtilde to spend her remaining time in the religious life.

The pious death of Jean Tise

The month of December 1392 announced a very harsh winter, and indeed, January saw temperatures so low that the layer of ice on the river Escault was over two feet. Street children died one after the other, and the poor old priest did not know what to do. It was on returning home after having attempted to rescue such a child and given the last rites to a dying old man that the priest fell ill. His agony lasted only two days and he died at his desk, after writing the words: "Pity, my Jah, in Your love, remember me at the moment of death." I held these last words in my hand and I cried overwhelmed with emotion ... I saw the letters become increasingly shaky and the last line stopping at the ‘e’ of "moment" and I understood that this man’s faith, his confidence, his love had been the forces of his life up to the moment of his death.

It was 10th February 1393.

By Monsignor Lodovicus.

German archivist for the Roman registers of Sacraments
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Poster un nouveau sujet   Ce sujet est verrouillé; vous ne pouvez pas éditer les messages ou faire de réponses.    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: