L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church
Forum RP de l'Eglise Aristotelicienne du jeu en ligne RR
Forum RP for the Aristotelic Church of the RK online game

Lien fonctionnel : Le DogmeLien fonctionnel : Le Droit Canon
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

[GB]Book of Virtues - The siege of Aornos -

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Kalixtus
Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:27 pm    Sujet du message: [GB]Book of Virtues - The siege of Aornos - Répondre en citant

Citation:

Dernière édition par Kalixtus le Mar Nov 16, 2021 6:47 pm; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Kalixtus
Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos – Chapter I -

I, Episténe, being in the service of Alexander the Great III, wish to testify in the twilight of my life, about the fabulous events I sometimes witnessed, such as when the Macedonian army conquered Nicae and the shores of the Cophen, beyond the Paraponisades Mountains. None of us knew the remote and mysterious regions that we approached. Alexander and I liked to converse on the memories of Ctésias, or on the manuscripts of Herodotus, which constituted all that we could learn about.

The condition of our journey was desperately poor. The heat and the unhealthy air exhausted the soldiers. Humidity was a constant annoyance, and yellowish grime formed into masks on the faces of the soldiers, and the slightest scratch became immediately infected. Drinking water became scarce, and food became rotten after a few days. Some took fatal fevers that left them for dead. The hapless contingent moved forward on roads unworthy of the name, torrential rains that came at the end of each day turned them to quagmires.

And at last, one beautiful morning, we reached ancient Aornos, refuge of the Assacéne people, that our good king called his enemies. Four immense silver towers formed the corners of the fortifications that protected a unique city. The city was built on a hill. At its summit, one could see what had to be a temple, topped by a sort of minaret covered with gold and precious stones, which hung over the city itself, catching on the sides of the relief.

Alexander did a meticulous inspection of his troops, then made a captivating speech on self-denial and the public cause to raise their moral. He then met with his generals to discuss the strategy to take. The generals were agreed that a headquarters should be organized, and Alexander made this remark full of common sense: “We will throw a few cannonballs to let them know that we are here. That would take care of the catapults!” And so it was done according to the will of the sovereign.

Our enemies responded to the first salvo in a very peculiar way. We saw, coming in our direction, a group of three riders that constituted a delegation of Assacéne. One of them went straight to Aristotle, the tutor of Alexander, and a man of incredible wisdom, and since these events, a man whom I believe to be holy. He fixed a look on our philosopher and made this speech: “We have awaited your coming. The Great Manitou, the Cosmic Snake, prophesied your coming.” Then he addressed himself to Alexander in distressing terms: “Sovereign of Macedonia, you will destroy Aornos very soon, but before we can accomplish the Great Design, we must show Aristotle our city and how it works. When he returns you will be able to begin the assault.” Alexander, fearing a trap, declared his distrust, but Aristotle said to him: “If I do not satisfy my curiosity, I cannot die in peace.”

Alexander: “But if you go there you will die sooner.”

Aristotle: “If I do not go, I will die later, but much worse than to die, I would die unsatisfied. In either case, I am dead.”

Alexander: “That is how you see it.”

That was not without raising my curiosity. I discreetly asked my king if I could follow the philosopher in his visit. My request was accepted and the Assacénes did so as well.

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos – Chapter II -

The city of Aornos was a unique example of social engineering. Our Assacène host acted as a tour guide on our visit as we progressed toward the top of the hill. As we moved forward, I saw Aristotle’s face turn, as if he had suddenly seen something familiar. At every question posed by our guide, the philosopher responded with caution.

While we were travelling through a dark maze of alleys - where every nook and shadow was the scene of plunder, aggression, and violence, and where the vulgar presented themselves lasciviously to passers-by – our host explained that this was Zone D. Zone D being where all of the refuse was placed, and where those who did not comply with the rules were sent. I hazarded the following question: “But why not banish them?” Our guide replied that Manitoban did not wish that, because in the words of their sovereign, “We would depopulate our city.” It is necessary to clarify that Assacènes took the newborn babies away from Zone D mothers, and placed the babes on farms. Aristotle made this comment, "I see here only vice and sordid misery."

We progressed next through an extraordinary expanse of diverse cultivations: corn, wheat, and barley. The fields teamed with herds of pigs and cows. The farmers appeared skeletal suffering from slave labour and famine. The Assacène told us that this was Zone C, where the farmer caste lived. I hazarded the following question, “But why are your farmers so scrawny?” Our guide replied that the upper caste lived in opulence, and that the production was insufficient to ensure the livelihood of the working class as well. He also clarified that the Manitoban refused to allow farmers to settle outside the city, where they could have benefited from more land and greater yield, because according to Manitoban, “farmers have to be very closely controlled to prevent deviant acts.” Aristotle made this comment, “That is absurd.”

While we walked through a well-off neighbourhood housing grandiose buildings dedicated to victorious military heroes, and the streets were filled with the activity of many comings and goings which served no purpose, The Assacène told us that this was Zone B, remains of the citizen soldiers caste. I noticed that many people wore small copper mirrors hanging from their necks, and often stopped long moments to contemplate their own reflections. I hazarded the following question, “Who are these people who seem to derive pleasure from watching their own reflection?” Our guide replied that the not all the soldiers had waged for several years, and that had nothing else to do than to admire things of nature, so they came to admire themselves and live in a disgraceful display of debauchery and luxury. But he also clarified that the Manitoban forbade soldiers to train in times of peace, or to even bear arms, because in his own words, “We should not risk that the army would one day turn against us.” Aristotle made this comment, “That is ludicrous.”

While we were going through what seemed to be a kind of cloister dedicated to the most important affairs of the city, we passed rotund magistrates who wore brilliant pieces of jewellery in every colour of the rainbow, and provided guidance to companies of merchants, bankers, and porters from all parts, Assacène informed us that this was the Upper Echelon or Zone A. It was the philosopher-kings of the city met. I hazarded the following question, “But is your government only concerned with the question of money? Is all here is in connection with the market?” Our guide replied that all matters of policy had been abandoned, and they were now only interested in the economy. But he also clarified that Manitoban had stated that the goal of the city should be to amass wealth, in his own words, “to protect itself from a future recession.” Aristotle made this comment, “That is distressing.”

Finally we arrived at the top of the hill, facing the temple of the Manitoban.

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos - Chapter III -

The temple of the cosmic serpent Manitou was an immense, imposing edifice, with architecture devoid of frills. The décor was extremely simple and limited to a few images representing scenes from the life of the serpent deity of the Assacene. Only the dome of the temple contrasted with the severity, it was covered in gold leaf and precious gems. We intruders followed our guide to a sort of counter that was held by people that appeared to be monks. They questioned us on our names, our homes, our families, our income, and after several hours, we were finally allowed to meet the Manitou.

The Cosmic Manitou was a peculiar individual. We expected to meet a sovereign, arrayed in splendor and majesty, instead we were faced with a man that was devoid of charisma. The Manitou was small, lean, and rather old, and wore a ridiculous little mustache. We were greeted rather coldly with these words, “Foreigners are not always welcome here, but we make an exception for you because you are involved in the prophecy.” I longed to ask the question, but Aristotle asked before I had the chance, “What prophecy do you speak of?” The Manitou told us that he had seen in a dream that armies from the west would destroy Aornos, but a philosopher by the name of Aristotle would first come into the city to immortalize the city in his writings. Aristotle said that he would not waste his precious time to write even two lines about Aornos, "insead it should die; or better still, Aornos should be totally forgotten”. The Manitou was appalled by the words of the philosopher, “Ah, no, no, no! We cannot be forgotten! We are the political ideal!” Aristotle burst out, “What! You’re joking? An ideal, surely you jest, all I see here is sin.

“I see a only the lust of the hordes, wallowing in their abuse of things of the flesh, leading to the contamination of the soul, becoming a black landscape full of fantasies where bodies mingle in unspeakable positions. These damned come and go in a sinister dance, in search of new unclean experiences in order to calm their ferocious appetite that cannot be appeased. Nothing else is important to them except the satisfaction of low cravings, and soon, their obsessions become so heavy that they sink into a black madness.

“I see only the anger of poor devils who give themselves over to their primitive tendencies of raising voice or fist against their brothers, and the sinister marauders who enjoy the violence of their crimes. They are pushed by their brutish desires, or their propensity for the perverse, to feed on human flesh and drink the blood of their victims, before spreading death and then forgetting in an orgy of viscera and bodily fluids.

“I see only the greed of those who pretend to command but do nothing but exploit, ignoring the most basic interests of their subjects, those who take pleasure in their small comforts, ignoring the vital needs of their labouring brothers, and who deny a loaf of bread to hungry mouths. They, in truth, show such selfishness with all of their money going towards a single point that they all become stunted, hunchbacked, and twisted over time.

“I see only the greed and extraordinary wealth of the citizens, who are fat from eating too much at the table, rosy from drinking to much wine, and laid-back from their excess of sleep. Their tongues will soon be covered in pustules that will swell like balloons, then burst like ripe fruit, dispersing their flesh to the four winds.

“I see only the pride and conceit of the citizens, who rejoice in the study of their own reflection, and convince themselves to live in physical, moral, and political perfection. They will become the ugliest and most deformed of all as they age. They will end up as madmen, desperate to be returned to the state of crawling monstrosities; sticky grubs that bear no likeness to humans.

“I see only the desire of those at the bottom who wish to posses as much as those that are above them, they are licking their lips for what they might have of their neighbors, and the lustful greed of the accumulation of coinage for its own sake, being the instrument of this pernicious system. They love only to possess and possess others, they think they are free to want, and they become slaves to their own desires, subject to the vagaries of wealth: their lives become hell, an unbridled quest to for ever greater earthly things.

“And finally, I see only apathy, the worst of all the vices, if it is in fact one, because these are people who, in the name of an obscure prophecy, abandon the absurd contemplation of what they believe to be destined for them, in order to disappear under the blows of the gauntlet of Alexander. Citizens who instead of acting watch passively; citizens that ignore the fact that action would be the product of heroism, the most noble instrument of virtue. They, in truth, no longer deserve the name of citizens, and therefore deserve no more the name of man, they are vegetables!”

And then Aristotle was silent. The Manitou’s eyes were wide, and myself, I knew not what to say after such a diatribe. Time was suspended, then the sovereign suddenly had a violent reaction. Aristotle and I were thrown out of Aornos, after being insulted by the small king who had gone into a hysterical anger.

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos – Chapter IV -

Having been thrown out of Aornos, Aristotle and I rejoined Alexander, who was waiting with his army a few hundred cubits from the city ramparts. The king did not fail to ask us about the defenses of the enemy. It was something to which, I must admit, I had not paid any attention. This was clearly not the case with Aristotle, who had a detailed description of the military fortifications of the city. He added that Aornos was a corrupt city that ignored the basic principles found in any community, and that it was unworthy of the name Republic. He concluded that it was necessary to destroy it and build a virtuous city in its place. In his own words, “to extirpate the error of weak minds and substitute for it belief in the Virtue.”

I suddenly had one of those flashes that makes you expect a little intellectual glory, and I hoped to best the philosopher. I raised the point that he had told the Manitou that violence and anger were vicious things, and yet he encouraged Alexander in his expansionistic enterprise. Aristotle answered me rather curtly, “Our community is glorious because it is virtuous. This is nothing subjective, it is a perfectly tangible reality, and it underpins our right to establish, on the entire surface of the known world, our Republic, for the happiness of the people. Our principles are truth because they are derived from the natural order of things. We are the Republic of the universal spirit.” I decided that in the future I would measure my words to avoid being made an ass of by the philosopher.

Alexander did not want to start a war because of the state of our provisions; the attackers would have given up before the besieging. Our position was also very bad as we were exposed to the archers of the enemy, since our meeting with the Manitou, they were resolved to fight. In order to gain cover, it was necessary to return to the mud of the mangrove swamps from which we had come. The men would not have held three days in these circumstances, under clouds of insects and snakes, in the unhealthy atmosphere of the swamp. The officers therefore opted for an attack that evening against the first defensive wall of the city. It was a disaster. Hundreds of soldiers died in a vain assault. The pike men and archers were formidable enemies, and our men had not time to prepare the ladders: they fell like flies. The ram likewise met an unwanted fate: nearly half of its crew was killed before it hit the doors. The survivors were so few that they were unable to maneuver the ram, which was soon stranded as a whale on a bridge, the soldiers having abandoned it in their retreat.

Alexander praised himself on his leniency toward his men and promptly called the massacre to a stop and sounded the retreat. Losses were limited but significant. The officers were reconvened, and the King of Macedonia spoke out. The king seemed very grieved by the turn of events; he confessed that he had not expected so much resistance. Then a general intervened, and reminded them how Alexander had won the Trojan War, and that Ulysses had been able to introduce Greek warriors into the city by subterfuge. Aristotle shut the general up immediately saying, “These are the idiotic legends of polytheists, and the Trojans could not have existed because no people can be so thick as to fall for such a crude trap. There would have been an intelligent Trojan to tell his fellow countrymen of their stupidity; that a horse of wood of suspicious workmanship, and that it was, besides, was an object of very pour taste, could in addition to all the rest, be a childish trick.” The General rebeled against the contempt of age old beliefs, and Aristotle replied that just because a belief is ancient it is not necessarily true. Aristotle then put an end to the conversation which had gone sour, shouting that controversies did not help.

Aristotle then made a shocking proposal, “I will challenge the Great Manitou to one on one combat, and this battle shall decide the fate of the city.”

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos – Chapter V -

After this terrible night, when the troops were partly decimated, Aristotle talked to Alexander and persuaded him to defy the Great Manitou in single combat to recapture the city. The Macedonian was not very enthusiastic about this proposal but we had been hit too hard to take another assault. Alexander had to resolve himself and so it was that Aristotle and I rode to the city gates, armed with white cloths in hope that they would not serve as easy targets for arrows of archers positioned high up. I confess, moreover, that I thought I was running for my life at that very moment. Aristotle shouted to the guards: “Let us enter, I am Aristotle and I come to talk with the Great Manitou of the Cosmic Serpent!“

The gates of the city opened to let us pass and we wandered through the streets and areas to reach the foot of the temple where we were led to the manitou. When we stood in front of him, I saw the anger in his eyes, mingled with an ounce of pride and pleasure, of having decimated a good part of Alexander's troops while repelling the Macedonian assault. The manitou seemed to be waiting for something from Aristotle, it was undeniable that the Greek used his wisdom to seize this opportunity, so he invoked the skinny one in a very unkind voice. “Grand Manitou, this is what we propose: you want me to write about Aornos so that the city does not fall into oblivion and I want to wipe it off the earthly world. I challenge you to a public speaking battle in front of your people to seal the fate of Aornos, if you win, I will write about the city and, if you lose, you and your men will leave it forever!" The bearded man was taken aback and answered with a rather unhealthy smile: “It works, if I win you will write and leave without asking for your rest. We will be jousting tomorrow, meanwhile, enjoy a night's sleep in the temple grounds,“ So we spent the night at the temple.

The next day we went to the public place, on the way, Aristotle held these words, “here comes the hour of truth against persuasion reasoning against rhetoric.“ The place was packed when we arrived and we were jostled by a vindictive crowd. The philosopher fell to the ground, I hastened to help him to get up when the big man arrived with a broad smile. He exclaimed, ”Haven't you your god to avoid falling so ridiculously?“ Aristotle saluted him and motioned me to leave the room. A guard seized Aristotle and told him to answer before throwing him to the ground with violence. I then tried to join my master but the guards blocked me; he got up calmly, determined not to give in to violence but it was easy to feel frustrated. The big manitou finally said these words: “Why don't you defend yourself instead of letting yourself suffer? You asked for an oratory fight, so speak! Otherwise I will consider you defeated and you will have to keep your word while writing about the city." Aristotle looked at the man and said, “Is a speech true because you humiliate your interlocutor, and what glory is there to make fun of seeing your enemy on the ground? To avoid a debate? Your people have a very poor guide!" The big manitou, red faced with anger, retorted: "for my people I am the subject and the verb, they do not need any complement." To which Aristotle, armed with an air of pleasure, answered : "indeed, if the people are a sentence, its leader is the subject and the verb, but it is also necessary that the whole be well conjugated so that it has a meaning, and in all this, I name it god!"

I stood not far from the scene, Aristotle was facing the big manitou and both, surrounded by guards, clashed in front of the vicious crowd. I then saw the plebs adhere to the words of the philosopher, so much more charismatic than his adversary of the day who, under his grotesque mustache and his tinge of frustration, ridiculed himself more and more. His eyes filled with hatred and Aristotle noticed. He slid a hint: "What guide loses his temperance as well?“ In his clairvoyance, he had not missed the change in the opinion of the people gathered around the spectacle, so much so that he played all the more beautiful. “People of Aornos, look at him well, with his grand airs and his rich attire, pictures of corruption! Look at what contempt he shows you!" The great manitou felt then that the wind was turning, and in an attack of rage, decided to finish with this duel; he then seized a dagger of a guard and threw himself on Aristotle shouting in all his voice: "Since this is so, let's see what your verve will do with that!" Using the strength and weight of his opponent, the Greek grabbed his arm and twirled him in the air, thus defending himself from the mortal blow. The manitou fell heavily into a cloud of dust and the crowd applauded as one. With assurance in his voice Aristotle uttered: "See what vice the vanquished tries to catch the sauce!" He turned to the paper tiger that lay in front of him: "You are the toy of your acedia which, in your narrow brain, is a reflection of your illness! Aornos will remain the consequence of your eternal incompetence!" Finally, he spread his arms and looked around him turning towards the disappearing crowd: "Aornos, wake up and do not let this infamous villain play on you!" The dictatorial man-child got up with difficulty, he cast a look full of vice before ordering the death of Aristotle to his guards. It was then the mass of onlookers gathered around the event and took up the case for Aristotle. Even before the guards had been able to unsheathe their weapons, they were thrown to the ground, I had to dodge quickly to avoid being trampled.

Thus ended the siege of Aornos, by a victory of Aristotle over a tyrant without consistency and in the anger of people too long exploited. The great manitou was, with the few guards who were still faithful to him, eradicated by a mass in fury. Aristotle was erected as a hero and, like the triumphant ruler of evil, he was carried by the crowd to the gates of the city. Alexander attended the show openly and once again had to recognize the priceless talent of his friend, carried by his Faith in god. Thus, the Macedonian ordered the rest of his troops to invest in Aornos. Aristotle assured the people converted to the word of the Most High, that this was an evil for good.

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The Siege of Aornos – Chapter VI -

On the evening of this victory by the word, Alexander, accompanied by Aristotle and myself, was able to observe the effervescence which reigned in the city of Aornos. The words of the prophet had been so strong that all inhabitants had to come to see this man whom all already considered as their new guide. Looking back, I still remember perfectly the feeling of freedom and joy that gripped Aornos; the powerful corruption still present had been driven out by the plebs and the others who had all gathered at the foot of the temple of the great manitou, where Aristotle and his generals had established their headquarters. A representative was sent to meet the Greek and palaver about the fate of the city.

The man who appeared before us was young, he called himself Jeremiah, he was dressed in simple clothes and had been chosen because he had always understood that Aornos was falling into disuse. Jeremiah was a philosopher and breathed virtue. He humbly approached Aristotle and greeted him with deference before saying these words: “Aristotle, your victory has opened our eyes, the city is now cleansed of all defilement with the disappearance of the great manitou. We rely on your wisdom to guide us in our future.” Aristotle was silent for a long time, Alexander did not intervene leaving the philosopher the gain of this victory that was so important for the latter. The greek used all his splendor to respond to the one who faced him: “Aornos was the seat of all vices and all sins, the city was guided by corruption and acedia, now it's all over. Formerly, I had a dream, that of an ideal city that I thought I had found when arriving in Aornos, such was my terror to see what I saw there. We must now build this new life together, that's why I'm going to write the precepts that will make Aornos the city of my dreams."

In the following days, Aristotle asked that no one disturb him on any pretext and shut himself up in a room with some food and a little water. I took advantage of this respite to walk the narrow streets of Aornos and listened to what was said there. The people had found themselves in friendship, the classes had been abolished and all shared a single purpose: to live together in perfect harmony. I was sure it would not last and that this state was mostly due to the latest events. Jeremiah had explained to the people what Aristotle had told him, and all were waiting for one thing, to put into practice those precepts spoken of by the prophet. Alexander, meanwhile enjoyed a little rest, putting his generals in command to maintain order when needed. In a few words, I can tell you today, how much these moments trotted in my mind as a turning point in the history of Aornos.

Exactly seven days after the victory of Aristotle, the latter, who had not given any sign of life during all this time, finally came out of retreat. He asked Alexander to bring Jeremiah and explained the fruits of his work with an air of appeasement and certainty in his eyes: “Aornos will be an ideal and perfect city, where all will live in harmony. The balance will be so strong that no one will be able to break it, and everyone will be welcomed like a brother. This city will be organized according to the principle of three concentric circles, or three classes of citizens." And Aristotle thus exposed each stage of the organization of the new Aornos. He explained that the city should keep the same name, to prove to all that the heart of the man can change from shadow to return to the light. Jeremiah and Alexander drank these words filled with wisdom, and we all understood that there was no alternative but to apply these just precepts.

We stayed six months at Aornos, helping Jeremiah to implement what Aristotle wrote, working tirelessly to recreate that city that the prophet had dreamed of and arguing with everyone the reasons for each decision. It is easy for me today to understand how this work was immense, because at the moment, when I write these lines, Aornos still shines with the flame that Aristotle gave birth in her. Alexander had endorsed everything; every point had been accepted, it seemed to him that the he owed it to his friend. At the turn of a conversation, seeing what interest I bore to the wise words of the prophet, Alexander explained to me that he could not have upset his friend in his ideal city project. Indeed, he had told me that he had never seen him so determined to destroy vice before returning from the city.

During these six months, Aristotle taught Jeremiah and some other inhabitants of the city the subtleties of the faith, he made them see the beauty of the love of the Most High and firmly anchored in their hearts fervor and friendship. They constituted the golden class, that of the kings' philosophers, the third circle of Aornos, all of who practiced virtue with great humility. Everyone became a priest and together they directed Aornos towards the light. It was they, with the help of Aristotle, who formed the two other circles: the silver class, composed of citizen soldiers, and the class of brass, composed of the producers. Thus Aronos experienced an era of splendor, mingled with faith and friendship where everyone naturally found his place. Once this magnificent work was completed and prospered, we decided to resume the long journey that we had started. Aristotle, who had dreamed of this ideal city, explained that he still had to continue his work through the kingdoms and Alexander went on his way with his armies. We left Aornos in the hands of Jeremiah and philosopher kings never to return. Our path led us to the gates of Athens that we had left so long ago, the soul filled with rich and imperishable memories.

Cardinal
Cardinal

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 07, 2021 11:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Citation:

The last days of the Prophet

I, Poseidonia, the Granddaughter of the prophet of God, Aristotle, Nicomachus's (Aristotle's son) daughter, would tell you the last days of the life of my grandfather.

After the death of Alexander of Macedon, Aristotle was forced to flee from Athens in a hurry.

In fact, Alexander had always protected my Grandfather, but with Alexander's death, his opponents have not hesitated to treat my Grandfather as a dangerous madman because of the teaching and spreading of the word that there is only one God in existence.

Proponents of the official religion could not endure any longer the words and teachings of Aristotle and with the death of Alexander they let go of all their gall and the population began to rise against my GrandFather.

His house was burned, and my Father, Nicomachus, had his eyes gouged out.

Aristotle decided to leave Athens for Chalcis.

Once they become settled in Chalcis, I joined them, but the recent events had troubled my grandfather and he quickly lost his strength.

It was then that we learned of the birth of the son of Seleucus, Alexander's companion who had always been more receptive to the teachings of my Grandfather. Apama his wife had given birth to a child who was named Antiochus the name of the father of Seleucus.

My grand father then had eyes that shone and as illuminated by God, he told me he must absolutely see this child.

I then sent a messenger to Seleucus, inviting him to come with his son to visit Aristotle.

Seleucus gladly accepted and arrived a month later with his wife and son.

During this period, Aristotle often talked with my father to prepare him for his future mission to become the tutor of the young Antiochus.

But his health suddenly dived again and my grandfather was in bed when I came into his room to announce the arrival of Seleucus. At that moment his face brightened and he suddenly found his strength.

He asked me to help him get dressed and joined Seleucus who was very happy to see his old master one last time, because he and Alexander had been his students ...

Aristotle embraced him and said:

Seleucus I'm so happy to see you and I have great things to say, but first show me your son.

Seleucus turned to Apama and with the child Antiochus they approached my Grandfather.

Aristotle looked intently and said:

Young Antiochus, your fate will be inspired and determined by God. Because of you, thousands of men of different nations will be converted to the true word of God. And among all these peoples will eventually be born the one to finish what I started.

Then turning to Seleucus he added:

Raise up your son with the faith in God, teach him the lessons that I have taught you, preparing him for the mission that God has entrusted to him. To help you, I give you my son, Nicomachus, who will tutor your son.

Seleucus was speechless before this prophecy that the great Aristotle had revealed, that his son had been chosen by God for a great mission.

Aristotle gave Seleucus a sealed envelope marked "For Antiochus" and he stated that he should deliver the letter to his son when he had turned 15.

Seleucus thanked him and they warmly embraced.

My Grandfather then said farewell to his son, who he had been preparing the past month, as he knew this would be their final separation.

My grandfather looked away, then looking very tired, he dozed

A little later in the evening, the slave Perfidias who had come from Athens to see my Grandfather with an amphora of wine, whose contents smelt strangely of hemlock. He left the home with the satisfaction of a job well done.
    After seven days of unconsciousness, Aristotle woke up. I was in tears at his side, as he opened his mouth and said in a whisper these few words:

My way on earth is finished, there is still much to do, but the part that God had granted me is over. Antiochus will germinate the seed that will flourish with Christos ...

He said the last name in a barely audible whisper, and his spirit had left.

... I did not know Christos and do not know whom he was talking about ...

I'm much older now, and am going to soon meet my Grandfather again.

As Aristotle had said, I saw Antiochus, who had been prepared by my father, become King of a great Empire, I saw into the state religion the teachings of my Grandfather, I have seen thousands men who are so different be converted. I saw the word of God spread in our world. But Christos I do not know ...

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    L'Eglise Aristotelicienne Romaine The Roman and Aristotelic Church Index du Forum -> La Bibliothèque Romaine - The Roman Library - Die Römische Bibliothek - La Biblioteca Romana -> Le Dogme - The Dogma Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: